On the blog today, we have Leslie Sansom. Enjoy reading about her writing process.
1. Tell us about yourself. May include links to Facebook, twitter, blogs, websites, Amazon author page)
I started writing about 7 years because I was depressed. It became an outlet for me. I have released 7 self published books and am about to release my 8th. https://www.facebook.com/lesliemsansom @lmsansom http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00HES7W3Y I also write 2 blogs. motherof2kids.wordpress.com thedirtygirlsbookclub.wordpress.com
2. How do you choose names for your characters?
All of my names for characters come to me in different ways. My first book, I used names that meant something to me personally.
3. Do you talk about your book/characters as though they are real?
4. Do you listen to music when you write or edit? What kind?
I listen to the West Wing on Netflix. I usually have it pulled up on a tab on my computer while I write. I have seen it so many times I don’t have to watch it to know what’s going on.
5. How long have you been writing?
About 7 years
6. Tell us about when you realized you were ‘meant to be’ a writer.
I still haven’t realized that yet.
7. Do you have a muse?
My muse is Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I love his eyes. The way he can convey his emotion just from the way he looks at you. I call him the Sexy Serial Killer, because you never know if he wants to sleep with you or kill you.
8. How do you improve as a writer? (Workshops, conferences, reading)
I read all the time. I have taken a few creative writing classes. I would love to attend a writers workshop.
9. Writing quirks or superstitions?
10. Tell us about your current work-in-progress.
Right now I am working on 2 books. The first is the 4th in my Keeping her in the Dark series “Surrender”. The series is about Liam Hastings, a rich businessman from London who buys a young girl at a slave auction, thinking it was a completely voluntary situation. After realizing his mistake he doesn’t know what to do with her. If he lets her go he risks himself, but if he keeps her he is afraid of corrupting her. Sold, Consumed, Betrayed and now Surrender. I am done with the first draft, but now I need to go back and edit/rewrite. The other book is the first in my King of Kings series. It is about a motorcycle club member that obtains a girl from another motorcycle club to babysit so she can not testify against them. Things heat up when he starts to care for her and he finds out they’re plan is to kill her anyway.
11. What book are you reading now?
I am not reading anything right now.
12. What genre do you write in? Erotica/Romance What about PoV?
I write from both of main characters POV.
13. Tell us about writing preparation. Character Profiles? Outlines?
I usually write, actually write with pen and paper a rough outline and list of characters with stats, how they look to me, age, job, wife, kids, parents. Then I break it down in chapters. While writing sometimes my characters take me on a turn away from the outline and I have to re-think it.
14. Do you know how your stories will end?
I usually know the beginning, the big drama and the ending.
15. Do you books have a message or theme? Or are they purely for entertainment?
purely for entertainment
16. Do you have any favorite snacks or drinks that you eat/drink while writing?
I love to eat jelly bellies! Juicy Pear is my favorite!
17. Tell us about your other passions.
I am scrapbooker. I love to scrapbook. I take a lot of pictures of my kids, the outdoors and my dog. I love expressing my creativity through paper and embellishments.
18. What’s something interesting about you?
I am a Navy wife and my family and I lived in Spain for 3 years.
19. Share a small sample (limit to one paragraph, please) of your writing… can be a WIP or already published.
Here is something from Surrender: Keeping her in the Dark Vol. 4 : “Detective, I am going to say this one time and one time only. People tell me that on my happiest of days I am no joy to be around. So how do you think I am going to be if you keep trying to drag my wife into this? I suggest that you keep my family out of this. For both our sakes,” I said.
“Are you threatening me, Mr. Hastings?” he asked.
“No sir I am not.” I was not threatening him. I was very serious.
20. Anything you’d like to say to your current and future readers?
I appreciate my small flock of readers very much. They are a loyal group and I love them. For any future readers, Welcome to my world!!! Thank you for giving me a chance.
Thanks Leslie! Good luck to you and your books.